Problem transferring frames using the DILs (Win32)

From: Ralph-Diether Marzusch <marzusch_at_rdm.hh.provi.de>
Date: 1996/04/21

Hello Newton world -

I'm trying to use the Windows DILs (Desktop Integration Libraries) for Win32 (NT) that Apple provides on their WWW server. Basically communication appears to work, but there are two severe problems:

  1. Sending frames from the PC to the Newton is *extremely* slow (about 1/5th of the throughput in the opposite direction).
  2. When receiving larger (more than a few hundred bytes) frames from the Newton transmission is *unreliable*. After transferring a few frames input is garbled and therefore the transmission protocol fails (tested using the "soupdrink" example program as well as my own communication program).

Is there anybody out there who succeeded using the (Windows) DILs? Is there any other way to transfer soup entries without having to write frame flattening/unflattening code on the Newton? I heard something about the frame (input/output) format being documented but I couldn't find it yet.

Thanks for any hints
  Ralph-Diether Marzusch

= Ralph-Diether Marzusch - rdm Softwaretechnik, Grosshansdorf, Germany =
= E-Mail: marzusch_at_rdm.hh.provi.de =