Re: The so called 'Consultants' from India

From: Sumantra Sen <ssen_at_mail2.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: 1996/04/21

Anton Geshelin (antong_at_mail.accent.net) wrote:

: Frank Hendrix wrote:

: >
: > Hey people look what I just found !
: >
: > Read and enjoy
: >
: > --
: > Frank Hendrix
: > LOBBYdata the UK Parliamentary database
: >
: > "
: > I like to share with you my experience with some overseas computer
: > consultants just to see if any other project managers out there has
: > had a similar experience.
: >
: > I am a project manager at a fortune 100 bank based in Boston. I have
: > the sole ownership of about 30 different client/server systems
: > globally, most of these are built around Powerbuilder and Sybase. As
: > you can imagine with a setup this big, we always have a number of
: > outside consultants working on various projects.
: >
: > I recently decided to hire 20 consultants from a firm from India, this
: >
: > firm the name of which I would not say publicly is supposed to be THE
: > consulting firm of India, and has a number of U.S and European
: > companies as their clients.
: >
: > The 20 consultants arrived about 6 months ago, at first, they had to
: > go thru all the problems of leaving their country and families for the
: > first time, which is understandable. But as time went on, myself and
: > few others in the team started noticing that many of these
: > 'consultants' are pretty much devoid of any knowledge of computers at
: > all. Although, a lot of the resumes did indicate they have MSc MCA(god
: >
: > knows what the hell that is!) and other degrees and 'upto seven years
: > experience building Powerbuilder applications',some of these people in
: >
: > reality did not know how change the virtual memory on their windows
: > machine!, amazing you think, it gets worse, once a girl asked me how
: > to format a disk on her PC. I mean these people were downright frauds,
: > about 99% of what they claimed in their resumes were lies!, they were
: > basically bent upon 'learning on the job' the products that they were
: > supposed to have had experience in.
: >
: > And, on top of all this, they want to keep going back to India every
: > now and then, and with the most stupidest of excuses, get this, one
: > consultant had to go and attend a celebration in india of her sister's
: >
: > coming of age!, can you beleive that?.
: >
: > Well, needless to say, eventually all the consultants were slowly
: > replaced with local ones, they are more expensive, but atleast they
: > knew what they are doing.
: >
: > Sandy Sears.
: >

This is a most intriguing story. The Indians wanted to go back home within 6 months of arriving as they were homesick? No Indian community I know has a "coming" of age" celebration. The Indian leading consultants tend to hire people who have substantial training in typically the US. The only thing that rings true about this story is the MCA bit...it stands for Masters in Computer Applications. I think there can be only two possibilities.

i) The guy who wrote this is a liar.

ii)This esteemed Boston Co. tried to really cut costs by hiring from third rate firms. Received on Sun Apr 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message