Re: Killing V2 connections from client

From: Dave Mausner <d-mausner_at_nwu.edu>
Date: 1996/04/20

In article <317769E4.2376_at_umich.edu>, Lixin Yan <yanl_at_umich.edu> wrote:
>Dave Mausner wrote:
>> In article <4l3upg$i9s_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
>> sghosh007_at_aol.com (SGhosh007) wrote:
>> >1. In sqldba i see processes locking tables. Is
>> >there any solution to this.
>>
>> it would be better to "alter system kill session 'sid#,serial#';"
>According to many books I need to kill the oracle user process to eliminate
 the killed
>session completely. Unfortunately I can't find a way to kill a process,
 although I looked
>up many books.

if you kill the session, the background process monitor will eventually clean up for you. it may take a few minutes. there may be cases, like parallel query index creations, where one process spawns many, so that killing the user session leaves the others running. it is more difficult to find and kill them.

--
Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.