Re: Usenet Fraud

From: Joel Rubin <jmrubin_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/04/20

I am not a lawyer, so this free advice is worth what you are paying for it. But, it occurs to me that Usenet/mail forgery may be legal, violation of torte law or criminal, depending on its nature and motivation. For example, consider the following forged post:

[begin]

From: president_at_whitehouse.gov
Date: April 1, 1996 00:00:00 GMT
Group: dc.jobs.offered

Wanted--secretary. Female, big breasts. Need not be able to type. Apply 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Lincoln Bedroom.
[end]

I should think that this post is probably legal. Anyone with any sense can see that it is a political satire and, in the U.S., protected by the first amendment. Considering what I have seen of British satire of the royals, I should think that it would be equally legal in England.

On the other hand, email:
[begin]

From: my_competitor_at_z.com
To: my_ex-wholesaler_with_whom_I've_had_an_argument_at_x.com

Please send me 1,000,000 boxes of those [new doo-dahs that nobody can sell].
[end]

This forged email is designed to lose money for your ex-wholesaler and your competitor and thus, I should assume it would probably consitute something like wire fraud and certainly a torte. Received on Sat Apr 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message