Re: Killing V2 connections from client

From: Lixin Yan <yanl_at_umich.edu>
Date: 1996/04/19

Dave Mausner wrote:

> In article <4l3upg$i9s_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
> sghosh007_at_aol.com (SGhosh007) wrote:
> >1. In sqldba i see processes locking tables however i have killed these
> >processes. these are connections using V2 and MTS so there is no unix
> >process to kill (like we could in V1 by finding the T: in ps -aef ) . Is
> >there any solution to this.
>
> it would be better to "alter system kill session 'sid#,serial#';"
> from a privileged username in sqlplus or sqldba. that way the ghost
> process that actually makes the oracle connection is killed off.
> you might be able to create a package with "alter system" privs and
> grant users execute privs on the package. you may be able to use
> the dbms_sql package within your "kill" package in order to execute the ddl.
>
> --
> Dave Mausner, Consulting Manager, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.

Hi, I have a similar situation here:
We have serveral client programs in the windows 3.1 and NT environment to call the Oracle server. But somehow the client program has something wrong when updating a table record, and the client machine is forced to reboot. Then from sqlplus I can find the session that run the client program is still there. I killed the session by 'alter system kill session 'sid#, serial#', however the session is just mark status to be 'KILLED' and remains till I restart the database.

According to many books I need to kill the oracle user process to eliminate the killed session completely. Unfortunately I can't find a way to kill a process, although I looked up many books.

--
Lixin Yan
(313)936-1931 (office)