Re: Grant select on another owners table

From: <vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl>
Date: 1996/04/19

In article <3172E5C8.46BC_at_mail.concentric.net>, Ken Denny <kedenny_at_mail.concentric.net> writes:
>Bryan Grenn wrote:
>>
>> Problem : I'm creating a new user and I was asked to grant that user
>> select access on:
>> xxxxxx.tablea
>> yyyyyy.tableb and
>> zzzzzz.tablec.
>>
>> I have the password for account xxxxxx, but the users have
>> developed tables under yyyyyy and zzzzzz that they support.
>> How do I grant access to these tables without involving the
>> owners of yyyyyy and zzzzzz ? I know I can change the password
>> for these accounts, do it and change them back, but I don't want
>> to affect the user if they happen to try to login at the same
>> time. Is there a way ?????
>
>Users yyyyyy and zzzzzz would have had to use the "with grant" option when
>they granted access to xxxxxx. When you use the "grant" command, there is a
>command (I believe it's "with grant") which says "In addition to granting this
>privilege, allow this user to grant the same privilege to others".

Correct. But if you are to give the grants no matter what, you could try this sneaky way (DBA's only):

ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT SCHEMA [username]

| Peter J.R. Vermaat | Dutch Department of Agriculture | Wageningen |

| p.j.r.vermaat_at_tfdl.agro.nl | http://gemini.tfdl.agro.nl:1024/~vermaat/ |
|                           Flagellant in Dreamland                            |