Re: ORA-07279 semget error

From: 'Mike Higgs' <mike_at_tilney.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/18

In article: <4l56d2$da9_at_soap.news.pipex.net> Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com> writes:
> >File /sw1/oracle/dbs/crdbdtb1.lst opened Wed Apr 17 15:40:33 1996.
> >Connected.
> >ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> >SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device
> >Additional information: 1
> >DBA-00342: unable to complete internal login
> >ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> >ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> >SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

> >Of course, we are missing
> >"Oracle7 Server Error Messages and Codes Manual".
> >
> >Can anyone shed any light on my problem ?
>
> Well I'll try :-)
>
> It's probably one of two possible problems; either
>
> 1: You have just run out of space on the device you are installing to
> (less likely)
>
> 2: You have exceeded the number of oracle instances you can run with the
> number of semaphores set on your unix box. (more likely)
>
> If it is 2: , then you need to up the value of some kernel parameters
> (system dependent, look in your TARG and ICG manuals for this info) and
> then rebuild the UNIX kernel.
>
> There is a good discussion of semaphores and requirements for Oracle in
> the ICG manual - in my case, it's Chapter 6, page 2 onwards, but that is
> for HP-UX on HP9000 series 700/800 machines, so it will probably be
> different for you :-}

We sometimes get this when the application package we use over the top of Oracle closes down abnormally. There is a command on our Unix achine called ipcrm, that allows clearing down of rogue semaphores etc ( list them with ipcs command ). However, **USE WITH CAUTION**.

Mike.

--

Mike Higgs                          mike_at_tilney.demon.co.uk
Unix Systems Administrator