Re: ORA-07279 semget error

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/04/18

bevans_at_pinpoint.avl.com wrote:

>File /sw1/oracle/dbs/crdbdtb1.lst opened Wed Apr 17 15:40:33 1996.
>Connected.
>ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
>SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device
>Additional information: 1
>DBA-00342: unable to complete internal login
>ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
>SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

>Of course, we are missing
>"Oracle7 Server Error Messages and Codes Manual".
>
>Can anyone shed any light on my problem ?

Well I'll try :-)

It's probably one of two possible problems; either

  1. You have just run out of space on the device you are installing to (less likely)
  2. You have exceeded the number of oracle instances you can run with the number of semaphores set on your unix box. (more likely)

If it is 2: , then you need to up the value of some kernel parameters (system dependent, look in your TARG and ICG manuals for this info) and then rebuild the UNIX kernel.

There is a good discussion of semaphores and requirements for Oracle in the ICG manual - in my case, it's Chapter 6, page 2 onwards, but that is for HP-UX on HP9000 series 700/800 machines, so it will probably be different for you :-} Received on Thu Apr 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message