Re: PL/SQL question!!!!!

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1996/04/18

Use dynamic PL/SQL
Esther Salk (esalk_at_luc.ac.be) wrote:
> Hello out there,

> Can anybody tell me how I can solve the following problem?

> I'have got a Oracle table, initially created with 2
> columns. But in time, several other columns have to be
> added to this table, storing the name of these columns
> somewhere else. My question is the following:
> How can I get to the contents of a specefic column
> (through a query in PL/SQL), not directly knowing the
> name of this column, but through use of a variable
> containing this column name.

> For example: the variable COLUMNNAME contains the
> name of a column of table TABLE_X, I want to get
> something like this:

> DECLARE
> BEGIN
> SELECT x FROM table_x WHERE columnname = 'some_value';
> END;

> Any help is welcome.

> Esther Salk

> --

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          Senior Software Engineer          *
*                          McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
*                          Ph:  (414) 798-7457               *
*                          Fax: (414) 798-8619               *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *