Re: RULE vs COST based optimiser

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_infosoft.be>
Date: 1996/04/18

In article <4l12hv$ajt_at_altrade.nijmegen.inter.nl.net>, Jan Paul (aszunoma_at_solair1.inter.nl.net) says... ...
!>It depends. I have an customer who was using cost-based optimizing.
!>This would cause good response on most parts of our application, but
!>absolutly terrible performance on several screens.
!>Bye, Jan Paul
!>SQL Systems B.V.
!>Customer Support.
!>

The poor performance in forms is due to the fact that the default optimizer goal is all_rows. An 'alter session set optimizer_goal = first_rows' might help. It would not when you would have an 'order by' that differs from the index used to select your data, then again all_rows would be better.

--
Kind reGards
     \ /   |