Re: DB replication thru redo logs

From: Sameer Utrankar <utrankas_at_coned.com>
Date: 1996/04/18

chuckh_at_dvol.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:

>mainline_at_cloud9.net (Jeff Gironda) wrote:

>>Does anyone know if its possible to perform periodic replication of an
>>Oracle DB by "recovering" archived redo logs of DB #1 against DB #2 ?

>I wouldn't try it. Mixing any of the database files from different
>instances is inviting disaster. Why not just use the more conventional
>replication options?

>Even if you could do what you're asking, you'd only be able to
>"replicate" with the database down. The conventional methods let you
>do it with the database up.
>xhole with anyone braver than yourself!

Chuck,

The reason such a thing is done is usually for a stand-by database. Live database is open and used by users and the other stand-by database is mounted but not open and keeps on applying logs from live db. In case of a failure on live db, as soon as you are done with applying last log on stand-by, you can swicth to stand-by database and you are back in business.

So the purpose is different. This is not the purpose of replication/snapshots.

Utrankas_at_coned.com (Sameer Utrankar) Received on Thu Apr 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message