Re: moving from tablespace a to tablespace b

From: Dale <dale_at_fox.nstn.ca>
Date: 1996/04/17

In article <4kkn0n$ma5_at_homer.alpha.net>, sahmad_at_mfa.com says...

>Chris Wasser (chrisw_at_astragalus.CNR.colostate.edu) wrote:
>> If I am the DBA for my database how do I move a set of ~100 tables
>> from one tablespace to another. They are all my tables.
>> Each time I try it, import tries to reload them into the
>> old tablespace, eventhough I've changed my default tablespace
>> to the new tablespace and removed the unlimited tablespace >> >>
 priviledge. I don't want to drop the
>> old tables until I am sure that they have been imported into
>> the new tablespace.
>If u don't drop the table, where do u want the data imported to ....?
>You could import the tables into a different schema, if u want to be
 on
>a really safe side. For the same schema, a table X cannot exist in 2
>different tablespaces.
>You should create the tables in the tablespace of your choice and run
>import with IGNORE (i think) flag set to 'Y'. (It might be some other
 flag
>but the flag basically tells import not to create table if it already
exists).

Remember: To import to another schema you need to use the

          fromuser touser options.  Note: if you pre-create the
          objects and set IGNORE=Y, then the associated indexes, etc
          DO NOT get created if the object already exists.

Babette Dale Underwood (dale_at_fox.nstn.ca) Received on Wed Apr 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message