Re: ANOTHER DEFRAG QUESTION

From: Candeman1 <candeman1_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

In article <3172A9A5.2633_at_explorer.csc.com>, Charles Walker <cwalker_at_explorer.csc.com> writes:

>I keep reading conflicing statements from Oracle's own documentaion on
>this point. One stance is the ONLY way to defrag a tablespace is to do a

>USER export, drop and recreate the tablespace and import.
>Another says to defrag the tables in a tablespace it's OK to use a TABLE
>export, drop and recreate the table and import. My problem is I have a
>user that spans mulitple tablespaces, but want to defrag one tablespace
>at a time. Can I defrag a tablespace by defraging the tables in it?

IMHO, it is possible but not likely. If you drop and "compress extents" for all tables, one at a time (assuming you have enough contiguous space to import each table as one extent) you still leave the tablespace with the "left over" extents. Oracle does attempt to glue these extents back together into larger contiguous blocks, it is unlikely that all the free extents are contiguous. Then let's talk about tablespaces with rollback or temporary segments...

Steve Stutheit Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message