Re: ODBC: MEMORY ALLOCATION ERROR!

From: <biged_at_worldaccess.nl>
Date: 1996/04/16

On 4/16/96 11:38AM, in message <4kvpqr$9tq_at_vivaldi.belnet.be>, Esther Salk <esalk_at_luc.ac.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My problem is the following:
> I am making a client MS-Access application (ver 2.0),
> whith attached ORACLE tables (through ODBC). At a certain
> point in my application I have to process a lot of records.
> Therefore I open a recordset (from an attached Oracle table),
> which contains approximately 1000 records (in the future this
> will be even more records). All these records have to be checked
> and updated. After a while (after a lot of records have been processed) I
> get the error: 'ODBC-update failed on attached table; Not all
> variables bound; Memory allocation error'.
>
> Whatever I do next, the message 'ODBC-call failed: memory allocation error'
> keeps showing up.
>
> I hope somebody can help me with this problem.
>
> Before I have been processing a smaller amount of records (say 50 records),
> and I never had any problems.
>

> Esther Salk
>
> --

Hi,

the reason this error occurs is simply that it isn't possible for ODBC to allocate over 64k of heap space at once (segmenting in Win3.x). My guess is that you should
a: reduce the result set, by chopping it into <64Kb results, and then join the result-set pieces to a complete table, or b: upgrade your clients to Win95 or NT since these os's don't use segmenting anymore so ODBC will be allowed to allocate up to 2Gb, phew!

Hope this helps.

Edwin van der Sanden
biged_at_worldaccess.nl Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message