RULE vs COST based optimiser

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/04/16

Any ideas on this problem would be much appreciated.

A 750 Meg Oracle database is split roughly between 500 Meg of data and 250 Meg of indexes. However, the db is set to rule-based optimising. I think it should be set to cost-based (otherwise serious resources are being wasted on maintaining indexes, statistics, etc), but the customer is dubious. Any ideas on what kind of improvement (if any) will be made by switching to cost-based?

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Grant Allen                    | "Woo Hoo!"
grant_at_towersoft.com.au         | H. Simpson
granta_at_student.canberra.edu.au |

The contents of this post are my opinions only.

      If swallowed, seek medical advice. Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message