Request: Large no. of small tables v/s small no. of large tables - which is better?

From: Shekhar Kirani <skirani_at_starfishsoftware.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

Hi:

In the current application we are desiging, the database need to support around 10,000 users. There are around 15 entities in the design. I can create 15 tables for each user resulting in 15,0000 tables, or just create 15 tables to be shared by all the users. I was wondering which one is better with respect to access performance.

From the middle-layer, we are planning to open say around 15 connections to the database and keep it open. All the users will be routed through one of these connections.

I was thinking that if I have so many tables in one database, the overall performance of the DBMS itself will be quite slow. Please let me know what you think?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Shekhar Kirani
skirani_at_starfishsoftware.com Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message