Re: SYSDBA and SYSOPER in ServerManager 4 windows

From: James A. Mumper <jamumper_at_mercury.ptes.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

Guy Dallaire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What userid and password am I supposed to use in order to connect as
> SYSDBA in ServerManager for Windows ? I'm trying to startup or
> shutdown a database running on a Digital UNIX server.
>
> I tried the SYSTEM/xxxxxxx username password, but I can only connect
> as NORMAL and cannot shutdown or startup the database. Is that
> possible ?
>
> Thanks
> Guy Dallaire
> Groupe DMR Inc.
> dallaire_at_megatoon.com
>
> P.S. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer

SYSDBA and SYSOPER are roles which only become available if you use Oracle's password file security system. They are not available by default. There are a couple of init.ora file settings and a utility which you will need in order to setup use of a password file. After you do this, the roles will become available and you can grant them to a user. Once you do, that user will use a different connect statement in order to decribe his/her intent to Oracle. For example, if you issue this command, "grant sysdba to guy". The the next time you login you can login as "connect grant/passwd as sysdba" or the normal connect statement. It is important to remember that when you use the SYSDBA or SYSOPER identifier to login you are using a different schema than your user schema. You are essentially logging in as SYS.

This is all covered quite nicely in the Server Administrators Guide. Also, I believe that this is only available in => V7.1.

--
James A. Mumper
Senior Oracle DBA