Re: Compress datafiles for backup

From: Sameer Utrankar <utrankas_at_coned.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

sds_at_dataplusnet.com (Strategic Data Systems) wrote:

>If your tape drive is already doing hardware compression,
>you would not benefit from compressing the files via
>software.

>Scott Overby
>sds_at_dataplusnet.com

What do you mean ? With or without hardware compression, doesn't tape drive has "a capacity" ? For example, when I use 120m DDS-2 Data Cartridge on HP-Ux - which mentions the capacity as 4 GB - do you mean to say it should be able to hold much more than 4GB of oracle datafiles because of hardware compression ? If yes, I don't have a problem. If no, then compressing 12 GB of oracle datafiles to get 4GB of compressed output and then putting that to tape will help. Right ?

Utrankas_at_coned.com (Sameer Utrankar) Received on Tue Apr 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message