Re: Oracle Alert question

From: S. F. Lott <slott_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1996/04/16

Rose Pekarek wrote:

> We are trying to use Oracle Alert to initiate an operating system script
> whenever a particular table is updated. The table needs to be updated
> from a custom Forms 4.0 application. The event is not recognized when we
> make the update. We have registered the custom application and the
> table. (We are able to initiate a script from Oracle's Forms 2.3
> applications.)

When you say "initiate" do you mean use the packaged procedure HOST?

> Anyone ever done this? We are also writing some custom applications in
> Visual Basic. Is it possible to do event alerts for those applications
> too?

Generally, no.
The RDBMS has its own environment with its own definition of event. Other software products -- unix shell scripts, VB programs, etc. do not share anything with the RDBMS.

Except, of course, via SQL queries. You will be most successful if you have tables which contain the tasks to do, and have programs which poll those tables. This will work through any SQL interface. For unix jobs, a crontab which checks a table works nicely.

Another choice is DBMS_PIPE to make a TCP/IP connection with a server outside the RDMS.

--
S. Lott
Consultant, NE Region