Re: concurrent sqlload

From: Sameer Utrankar <utrankas_at_coned.com>
Date: 1996/04/15

chuckh_at_dvol.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:

>I have a data warehouse that I update once a month by reloading all
>the tables with sqlload. There's approximately 80 tables in the DW
>ranging in size from a few rows to millions of rows. Currently we load
>the tables one at a time with a unix shell script. I'm thinking about
>command, and a wait command at the very end. Do you think this will
>decrease the total load time? Will it overwhelm the database? If it's
>too many tables to load at once, what would you suggest as a smaller
>number?

>TIA
>--
>Chuck Hamilton
>chuckh_at_dvol.com

>Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!

When you load one at a time, is your machine bottlenecked by either cpu or io ? What are the % utilizations on each of these ? If at least one of them is not near 100%, you might benefit (by starting a couple of more - however putting & for all 80 tables seems to be a bit too much).

We used to run 6 jobs simultaneously (heavy io jobs not sqlloads) and we found that reducing that number to 4 helped (system does too much work swapping/paging if there are too many jobs). But if it's only 1 job - all resources may not be 100% utilized. So I guess it's balance between the two.

Utrankas_at_coned.com (Sameer Utrankar) Received on Mon Apr 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message