Re: Need help performing large updates...

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/04/15

The statement was made in replying to a request on how to get around an 'unable to extend rollback segment' one reply suggested that a 'create table copytable as select * from original_table' command be used and said that since this is a DDL statement no rollback support is required.

I believe this is incorrect as I just received an 'unable to extend' error yesterday while running such a statement. I had forgotten to do a set transaction statement before I started my script and had to start over 40 minutes later since Oracle chose the only other available rollback segment on my system after I went to a lot of trouble to get my system set up.

Be advised that if you try to copy a large table while it is in use you can 1) get a snapshot too old and 2) loose a row inserted after your copy starts. You may want to do the work with the database in 'restricted mode' or drop the public synonym if you must work while the database is available to users/developers.

Mark Powell -- No witty disclaimer Received on Mon Apr 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message