Re: Forcing a table into memory

From: Mike <mboduch_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/04/14

sahmad_at_mfa.com (Saad Ahmad) wrote:

>Krister D. Ungerboeck (kunger_at_pop.interaccess.com) wrote:
>> Is it possible to force a table into memory and ensure that Oracle
>> doesn't swap it out?

>In oracle 7.2.x and up (also 7.1.6 i think )

>alter table xxxx cache;

But be aware that that only means that after the first full table scan the table's blocks will be put at the bottom of the Least Recently Used (LRU) list. Meaning that it's much *less* likely to be swapped out of the DB buffer cache. If you do enough other processing without referencing the cached table it's still possible for it to be flushed from the buffer... At least that's what I remember from the 7.1 and 7.2 "New features" class...

Mike