Oracle Financials GUI and/or true client server apps?

From: Brian F. Haddock <BHaddock_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/04/13

I work for a large utility company in Tx. We've just purchased Oracle 7 and the Financials suite. Apparently a major mistake was made in the product selection (we just fired the Oracle consultants - ran 'em out of the building). Note: I'm just a lowly programmer/analyst so I'm not real clear on the contract negotiations.

Package was purchased to run on a HP-Unix server with MS Windows 3.1 clients. They purchased the Financials thinking they were *true* client server apps and fully Windows GUI. Now they're telling us this was a mistake and I'm more confused than ever about this C/S stuff. Management has stated that the new Windows versions are in beta. The only available production product is basically just a screen scraper type product.

Is this true? Are they truly just screen scrapers or would a more accurate description be a 'thin client' type archetecture? I guess we wouldn't be doing any development using Developer 2000 but rather one of the older Forms 2.X tools?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if none of this makes much since, like I said, I'm very confused right now....

--
                       Brian F. Haddock
                    BHaddock_at_ix.netcom.com