Re: [Q]: Dynamically compressing the .dmp file while exporting ?

From: <tan_n.a1.wdc.com_at_nelson_pc.wdc.com>
Date: 1996/04/13

> > I know it is possible to dynamically compress the output
> > file while it is being exported by using the following
> > commands:
> >
> > mknod exp.dmp p
> > compress < exp.dmp > exp.dmp.Z &
> > export scott/tiger file=exp.dmp
> >
> > Question: My unix sysadmin does not give me access to the mknod
> > command (only super-user can run this command). Is there
> > another set of commands I can use to accomplish the same task ?
> >
> > Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

        In some unix implementation there is also a command called "mkfifo". "mkfifo" is normally available for use by ordinary users. It is basically the same as "mknod -p". Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nelson Tan
e-mail: tan_n.a1.wdc.com
<normal_disclaimer.h> Received on Sat Apr 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message