Re: Moving database

From: Grace McCalman, Box 524, Trent University, Peterborough, <gmccalman_at_ivory.trentu.ca>
Date: 1996/04/12

In article <3169D1B4.65BF_at_hal-pc.org>, "Carlos A. Gonzalez" <cagosg_at_hal-pc.org> writes:
>Help Please :
>
>How do I go about moving Oracle Database from one computer to another
>
>My problem lies with the control files.
>
>No problem in copying the datafile for the logs and the database.
>Also I know I must have an INIT.ORA pointing to the proper *.cntl files.
>
>Should I create new cntl files and if so how ???
>
>This is really not a database backup but a move to another
>machine/directory
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks

Hi Carlos,

   We have done this before. You can back up the entire database(while it is shutdown) i.e. cntrl*, log*, all datafiles with the entire path name.

Then reload it on the new system.
Be very very careful. The important files are the cntrl* and log*. Get those in the right places and you'll be fine

Grace Received on Fri Apr 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message