Re: Oracle for Linux?

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoindex_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu>
Date: 1996/04/11

In article <4kj6pi$r44_at_alpha.ftech.net>, Simon Denvers <simon_at_pace-data.co.uk> wrote:

>Nothing produced by Oracle will be supported on Linux, at least not
>until Linux is taken over by some organisation which can represent it,
>support it, sell it pre-installed on PCs, bundle it with Oracle etc.

There is now a such a company - Caldera. It's backed by the founder of Novell (startup capital-wise). (http://www.caldera.com)

The least Oracle could do is to offer OCI as a free, unsupported distribution. Sybase has recently done the same for Linux (although sadly, it only includes half of the typical client software.)

Having OCI available would then allow free tools like my Oratcl (Oracle to Tcl interface) to be built on Linux.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex_at_nyx.net