Re: DBA - Archivelog suspend

From: Torben Krogh Jeppesen <tkjeppesen_at_vip.cybercity.dk>
Date: 1996/04/10

utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Sameer Utrankar) wrote:

>I want to use Archivelog for Hot-backups as 7*24 is the requirement
>for application system. Heavy hitting nightly batch is likely to
>produce Tons of archivelogs and so I would like to suspend archive
>logging during the period of the batch run.

>If I have to stop and start the database in order to enable/disable
>archive logging, purpose of 7*24 operation is lost.

>Is there a way of enabling/disabling archive logging wihout
>shutdown/startup of database ?

You wouldn't want to disable archive logging, because then you have no way to recover from a disaster, however, the ALTER SYSTEM command has some ways of changing archive logging mode.

It is better to find ways to avoid producing lots of redo log entries. Try using CREATE TABLE ... AS SELECT ... wherever possible. It does not generate redo entries.

It may even pay to do accumulations by creating a new table every day from a union of the old version and the newly added rows, and then delete the old version.

Yours sincerely
Torben Jeppesen, DBA Received on Wed Apr 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message