Re: rollback segment doesn't exist

From: Bo Lu <bo.lu_at_hsc.utah.edu>
Date: 1996/04/09

blaurent_at_ccnet.com (Bob Laurent) wrote:
>I've tried calling Oracle tech support and spent 20+ minutes on hold
>before someone came on to tell me they'd call me back, so I'm trying
>here.
>
>In svrmgrl, when I try to startup my database, I get the error
>message:
>ORA-01534: rollback segment 'R01' doesn't exist
>Is there anything I can do to re-create this rollback segment?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bob Laurent

Bob,

It seems that you have a rollback segment specified in the init.ora file but the rollback segment either has not ever been created or has been droped accidently. When you startup Oracle, Oracle tries to find the rollback segment.

The solution would be either you create the rollback segment or you remove the entry from init.ora file. The init.ora file usually sits in your /ORACLE_HOME/RDBMS71 directory.

Hope this helps.

--
Bo Lu
Programmer/Analyst