Choosing Oracle Server/OS

From: Chris Palmer <cpalmer_at_postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: 1996/04/09

Our company is considering upgrading from a Netware based Oracle 7 Server to a larger server in anticipation of larger projects including building a data warehouse. Two issues we must resolve are:

1)What OS to run it on
2)Should we dedicate the server to Oracle or use it for general purpose file serving as well?

Concerning issue #1, should we stay with Oracle for Netware, or should we switch to Solaris or Windows NT on an Intel or a RISC platform? What advantages/disadvantages are there in these? Will Oracle be supporting Netware versions as much as the other OS platforms?

Concerning issue #2, If we stick with Netware, should we get a large enough server to handle both our Oracle traffic and our File Server traffic? (currently we have a pentium 25 user Netware based Oracle server and a 486 100 user Netware File Server) Or should we stay with two separate servers?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris Palmer
cpalmer_at_postoffice.ptd.net Received on Tue Apr 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message