Re: Modem Communication in Oracle Database Replication

From: Harri Kaukovuo <hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/09

bfntd_at_aimnet.com (Tony Damon) wrote:

>Harri Kaukovuo (hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
>: Yao-Wen Stephen Tsai <yaowen_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>:
>: >Hi! I am wondering if anyone know any software or programming tool that
>: >I can use with Oracle 7 to establish a communication link through modem
>: >in order to perform database replication.

>: >Thanks in advance.
>:
>: If you were using TCP/IP one possibility is to use PPP or SLIP to
>: connect over serial port (modem).
>: SQL*Net does not care whether the connection is established using hard
>: wired connections or PPP/SLIP. Of course you will notice the
>: difference in connection speed if you are using slow modem.
>:
>: PPP/SLIP software is operating system dependend. OS/2 Warp has these
>: included in the standard package. Windows XX does not include these,
>: you have to buy them separately. Don't know about unixes.
>:

>How does one handle a dynamically assigned IP address in the
>cases where you use PPP/SLIP ?

>Thanks,
>Tony Damon

PPP/SLIP connection with dynamic IP works OK one way. Since client is usua;lly the one who takes care of establishing the connection and performing the database functions this should not be the problem.

Of course there might be need that the server connects the client which has IP address that has been created dynamically. This might be solved using Oracle Names 2 and SQL*Net dynamic discovery option. This combination contains an option that provides dynamic registration of servers with well-known Names Servers on the network and automatic replication of data between Names Servers.

Sorry, I wish I knew more about this issue. I have not done anything with replication so I can not explain how this works technically (just checked above from SQL*Net 2.3 manual).

  • Harri

hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com
** The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and ** do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Apr 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message