Re: DBA - Archivelog suspend

From: John Claxton <jclaxton_at_email.usps.gov>
Date: 1996/04/08

utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Sameer Utrankar) wrote:
>I want to use Archivelog for Hot-backups as 7*24 is the requirement
>for application system. Heavy hitting nightly batch is likely to
>produce Tons of archivelogs and so I would like to suspend archive
>logging during the period of the batch run.
>
>If I have to stop and start the database in order to enable/disable
>archive logging, purpose of 7*24 operation is lost.
>
>Is there a way of enabling/disabling archive logging wihout
>shutdown/startup of database ?

If you could turn off archive log mode during on-line (aka 'hot') backup, you would loose the ability to restore from that backup (no redo files would be archived), so there would be no point in archive logging and on-line backup in the first place.
To restore from an on-line backup, you have to have the archive log files for changes that took place during that backup. Received on Mon Apr 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message