Re: Modem Communication in Oracle Database Replication

From: Tony Damon <bfntd_at_aimnet.com>
Date: 1996/04/08

Harri Kaukovuo (hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: Yao-Wen Stephen Tsai <yaowen_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:
: >Hi! I am wondering if anyone know any software or programming tool that
: >I can use with Oracle 7 to establish a communication link through modem
: >in order to perform database replication.

: >Thanks in advance.
:
: If you were using TCP/IP one possibility is to use PPP or SLIP to
: connect over serial port (modem).
: SQL*Net does not care whether the connection is established using hard
: wired connections or PPP/SLIP. Of course you will notice the
: difference in connection speed if you are using slow modem.
:
: PPP/SLIP software is operating system dependend. OS/2 Warp has these
: included in the standard package. Windows XX does not include these,
: you have to buy them separately. Don't know about unixes.
:

How does one handle a dynamically assigned IP address in the cases where you use PPP/SLIP ?

Thanks,
Tony Damon Received on Mon Apr 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message