Re: [Q] SMP computer and Oracle license ?

From: Joel Fedorko <Rsi_at_fred.net>
Date: 1996/04/08

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> MCC wrote:
> >
> > I use to work for Sybase. On SMP UNIX computer, you need purchase CPU
> > licenses to take multiple CPU advantage on Sybase. I don't know is this
> > case apply to Oracle or not? Someone told me Oracle does not count
> > license. To take SMP advantage just change on configuration files, is it
> > true? How to do it? Thank you for help.
>
> No, you have to purchase separate Oracle licenses for each processor in
> the system. In addition, if these processors are going to be hitting the
> same database, all those license will have to include the Parallel
> Server option as well.

If you're running Parallel Server, you need a license for each SYSTEM last time I checked (DEC Hardware). For Parallel Query the same applies.

> That's assuming you're going to run each processor as a separate Oracle
> instance. If you just start up one Oracle instance and let the operating
> system allocate the threads to the separate processors (which really
> isn't SMP, but anyway...), then Oracle just treats the machine as one
> processor, so I don't believe any additional licenses are necessary.

You can run as many instances on a machine as you want... the catch is not exceeding the number of licensed users. When using parallel query, you set a couple of parameters in the init.ora file and then some table attributes like # of query threads.

-Joel Fedorko Received on Mon Apr 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message