Re: Oracle and Visual Basic

From: Sylvain Faust <sfaust_at_sfi-software.com>
Date: 1996/04/07

KenanSys wrote:

> I currently have an application using Visual Basic 3.0 for the frontend
> and Access 2.0 for the database. I want to convert the database to Oracle
> 7 and still use Visual Basic for the frontend. (For now I plan to keep it
> in VB 3.0 but I may later change to VB 4). From what I've read it seems
> that VB talks to ODBC which uses SQL*Net to talk to Oracle.
> * Is this correct?
> * Is there an alternative to ODBC?
> * Where do I get the necessary ODBC drivers?
> * Does anyone know of any examples that could be useful for someone doing
> this for the first time?
> Any ideas are very much appreciated!

You can also directly use the Oracle API OCI (Oracle Call Interface) for maximum control, speed and flexibility with not ODBC guessing.

For OCX/OCI check http://www.sfi-software.com about SQL-Sombrero/OCX for OCI. Also download it from that site (includes VB4 samples) and access teh full product documentation from that web site for free.

You can also get the evluation copy mail to you by calling SFI at 819 778-5045 ext:152, fax 819 778-7943. Information request email to info_at_sfi-software.com

Simply requires SQL*NET!!!

Sylvain
SFI, Creator of SQL-Programmer, SQL-Sombrero, SQL-Agenda and BSQL. http://www.sfi-software.com
Oracle Business Alliance Programmer Received on Sun Apr 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message