Need advice for configuring SPARCstorage Array for Oracle

From: Mahesh Saraswat <mahesh_at_ppm.csun.edu>
Date: 1996/04/07

Hi -

We are geeting new SPARCcenter 2000E machine with 63-Gbyte(30X2.1G 7200 RPM Fast/Wide SCSI-2 Disks) SPARCstorage Array system. I have to configure theses drive for optimal Oracle performance. The database (supporting Oracle Financial) size currently is 30Gbyte but will grow to roughly 50Gyte in two years. Here are my questions.

  • How would you spread the data on these disk?
  • Should I stripe the disks? What tools are available to do this?
  • Should I use Raw device or UFS or both?
  • What size of data block should I use?
  • Is there any bulletin available from Oracle or Sun on this topic?
  • Should I use RAID? What level?
  • Anything else I should know ragarding the configuration?

Thank you for you valauable time.

Mahesh Saraswat Received on Sun Apr 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message