Re: Web Site ideal system: Oracle vs. Illustra and Sun vs. Silicon Graphics

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/04/07

John Regep wrote:

> Hugo Toledo, Jr. (hugo_at_mcs.net) wrote:
> : John Regep wrote:
> : >
> : > Aaron,
> : >
> : > 70% of all WEB sites that use a database use Illustra,
> : > what does that tell you?

> : John,

> : I'd really like to know the source of that statistic. It seems awfully
> : unlikely considering the history of data sources on the web.

> : Now, was the origin of this statistic actually referring to relational
> : database? Or, perhaps, commercial relational database? And, then, were
> : they SQL databases?
>
> Source is Illustra . Database is sites that do not use stright HTML,
> wether its dynamic pages or inputing orders in to a 'database ' of some type
> (other than a flat file)
>
> I would infir(sp) that "database" does not include "any collection of data"
> but rather a commercially available DBMS. (Informix, oracle, sybase,
> visegenics, and the other OODBMS)
>
> I don't know what an "SQL dastabase" is, but the figure does include
> both Relational and Object databases.
>
> Please explain the following
> : unlikely considering the history of data sources on the web.
> --
> John Regep, || _______ || ZenaComp, Incorporated

John,
By SQL database, I meant those RDBMS' which conform to the ANSI/ISO standards for SQL.

As for the history of data sources, most databases on web sites were those compiled to collect information using CGI through (mostly) perl and C programs. The destination of these data items were generally extant databases or, more often than not, local files accessed through CGI and perhaps using the dbm() routines on Unix.

In the last year or so, starting with Oracle in February of 1995, commercial solutions to RDBMS access have cropped up. However, but for the most commercially viable of sites, non-commercial database solutions continue to be employed by the thousands and thousands of Web afficionados not able to afford commercial solutions.

Let me say this: "70% of all WEB sites that use a database use Illustra" may indeed be true (although, I doubt even Illustra can back up this specious claim); I continue to believe the majority of web sites using a database have in place non-commercial gateways to that data. As for proof, search the archives for references to databases and the WWW and notice how many of the queries come from the typical user crafting a custom gateway.

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents