Re: Opinions on striping requested

From: Harald Becker <harry_at_merlin.unterland.de>
Date: 1996/04/06

In article <Dp7FJr.Crr_at_intermec.com>, Donna Bigler <donnab_at_intermec.com> wrote:
> We are about to set up the hardware/OS on
>which we will be running Oracle Applications.
>IBM RS6000, AIX 4.1.4, 10 disk drives.
>Looking for opinions/comments on the use of striping.

We are running Oracle on a HP9000/K200 with 20 Disks dedicated to the database, we used striping over 5 disks for one striped volume. These 5 Disks are connected to three controllers, so the access is splitted between the different SCSI-channels.

The performance increased. At a test in the installation of the system I created a volume over two and three disks and got a factor of three comparing read and write-rates to single-disks.

But: be sure to split your volumes over different controllers. If you don't do this, very quickly the transfer-rate of the SCSI-controller will become the bottleneck.

>Anybody have success/horror stories on this matter?

Success-Stories: see above!

Horror-Stories:

OK, I'll try: If your data is important and you need high data-security you should think about using a RAID for your data. If one disk crashes in a striped volume, all other disks in this volume had also to be restored!

>TIA
>Donna Bigler

I hope I could help you a little bit.

greetings

Harry

  Harald (Harry) Becker                 harry_at_merlin.unterland.de
      75223 Niefern                     for PGP-Key send mail to:
                                        harry_key_at_merlin.unterland.de