Re: Oracle and Visual Basic

From: Ed Hillmann <Edward_Hillman_at_mail.amsinc.com>
Date: 1996/04/05

In article <4k157e$leq_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, kenansys_at_aol.com says...

>I currently have an application using Visual Basic 3.0 for the frontend
>and Access 2.0 for the database. I want to convert the database to
 Oracle
>7 and still use Visual Basic for the frontend. (For now I plan to keep
 it
>in VB 3.0 but I may later change to VB 4). From what I've read it seems
>that VB talks to ODBC which uses SQL*Net to talk to Oracle.
>* Is this correct?
>* Is there an alternative to ODBC?
>* Where do I get the necessary ODBC drivers?
>* Does anyone know of any examples that could be useful for someone
 doing
>this for the first time?
>Any ideas are very much appreciated!
VB does not have a natural link to Oracle, and must on its own use ODBC. That is true. However, I would seriously look into Oracle Objects for OLE. This is a package by Oracle, which among other things has a OraData object which you can use in VB, much like the Data object that comes with VB. I played around with this (minimally, so if anyone else has info that counters this, please say so :) ), and this was a much easier way to talk to an Oracle database, and I think more so in VB 4. I also believe that querying the database would be more effiecient with Objects for OLE instead of ODBC. Check out
http://www.oracle.com/support/bulletins/oo/html/1400.html for a description of Objects for OLE.

Happy coding!
Ed Received on Fri Apr 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message