Re: [Q] SMP computer and Oracle license ?

From: Kevin P. Fleming <kpfhome_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/04/05

MCC wrote:

> I use to work for Sybase. On SMP UNIX computer, you need purchase CPU
> licenses to take multiple CPU advantage on Sybase. I don't know is this
> case apply to Oracle or not? Someone told me Oracle does not count
> license. To take SMP advantage just change on configuration files, is it
> true? How to do it? Thank you for help.

No, you have to purchase separate Oracle licenses for each processor in the system. In addition, if these processors are going to be hitting the same database, all those license will have to include the Parallel Server option as well.

That's assuming you're going to run each processor as a separate Oracle instance. If you just start up one Oracle instance and let the operating system allocate the threads to the separate processors (which really isn't SMP, but anyway...), then Oracle just treats the machine as one processor, so I don't believe any additional licenses are necessary. Received on Fri Apr 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message