Re: Getting Image and Oracle databases to talk

From: Luis Arias <luis_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: 1996/04/05

Hugo Toledo, Jr. wrote:

> craigh_at_pswtech.com wrote:
> >
> > [Apologies if this subject has been covered previously]
> >
> > I've got a legacy COBOL application running on an HP3000 using MPE and the
> > Image database. Part of our current project is to migrate the legacy system
> > to an HP9000 system running HP-UX and Oracle.
> >
> > Due to the nature of the legacy app, we're going to be running the Oracle and
> > Image environments concurrently for at least 1 year. Does anyone have a good
> > solution for getting these two databases talking to one another? We need
> > bi-directional communication so that changes in the Image database are
> > automatically reflected in Oracle and vice-versa.
>
> Craig,
>
> Oracle has a technology called Transparent Gateway for Turbo Image. It is
> available for the HP3000. It allows an Oracle7 server to communicate with
> a Turbo Image database transparently, as if it were another Oracle7
> server. The Image database can even participate in distributed updates.
> (The two-phase commit commit-point automatically is the Image database.)
>
> However, I believe the Gateway is effectively unidirectional. That is,
> the gateway allows Oracle initiated contact only. You would have
> to develop procedures to synchronize the databases from the Oracle side
> of the connection using PL/SQL and, perhaps, DBMS_JOB, DBMS_ALERT, and/or
> DBMS_PIPE.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Hugo Toledo, Jr. Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
> 312.951.8012 Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents
> mailto:hugo_at_mcs.com Oracle Power Objects - Windows - Unix - C
> http://www.mcs.com/~hugo/oracle.html CompuServe: 72700,1705

Hello,

I am developping just such a gateway for accessing Turbo Image files from an Oracle session for one of my customers.

The gateway uses the dbms_pipe package and is not application specific. For the moment, the gateway is only used for consulting Turbo Image files from Oracle applications. We are considering adding further functionality such as updating.

The gateway is small and fast, but of course, does not offer the same functionality as Oracle's product. I have demonstrated its usefulness using various clients such as Forms 4.5 and Netscape Navigator using Oracle's Web System 1.0 which we are currently evaluating.

Please let me know if you are interested in this.

--
Luis Arias
Elysia, SARL