Re: Web Site ideal system: Oracle vs. Illustra and Sun vs. Silicon Graphics

From: John Regep <jregep_at_zenacomp.zenacomp.com>
Date: 1996/04/05

Hugo Toledo, Jr. (hugo_at_mcs.net) wrote:
: John Regep wrote:
: >
: > Aaron,
: >
: > 70% of all WEB sites that use a database use Illustra,
: > what does that tell you?

: John,

: I'd really like to know the source of that statistic. It seems awfully
: unlikely considering the history of data sources on the web.

: Now, was the origin of this statistic actually referring to relational
: database? Or, perhaps, commercial relational database? And, then, were
: they SQL databases?
: --
: Hugo Toledo, Jr. Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
: 312.951.8012 Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents
: mailto:hugo_at_mcs.com Oracle Power Objects - Windows - Unix - C
: http://www.mcs.com/~hugo/oracle.html CompuServe: 72700,1705

Source is Illustra . Database is sites that do not use stright HTML, wether its dynamic pages or inputing orders in to a 'database ' of some type (other than a flat file)

I would infir(sp) that "database" does not include "any collection of data" but rather a commercially available DBMS. (Informix, oracle, sybase, visegenics, and the other OODBMS)

I don't know what an "SQL dastabase" is, but the figure does include both Relational and Object databases.

Please explain the following
: unlikely considering the history of data sources on the web.

--
John Regep,            ||    _______        || ZenaComp, Incorporated
Information Consultant ||  -----/  /        || 17187 N.Laurel Park Dr. #351