Re: Oracle performance

From: Stephen Turner <sturner_at_tiac.net>
Date: 1996/04/05

In article <31655C51.48A5_at_theta.co.nz>, robben_at_theta.co.nz says...

>mj wrote:
>>
>> We are running a 7.2 Database on a Sun server 1000e:
>> 256 MB RAM, 2 CPU, 12x2 GB storage and one IO controller card.
>>

>> I had hoped to see some big difference in performance here....?
>>
>> Any ideas would be welcome..
>> MJ

The first thing you should be looking at when looking at performance problems is the application or query itself - use explain plan and/or tkprof to analyze the sql statement(s) in question.

If you are satisfied that the sql coding is fine, there is a series of things to look at (shared sql area performance etc.). The Oracle Server Administrator's Guide goes into detail about the steps to take and what to look at.

My experience though is that such problems are usually in the coding of the sql statement(s). You should really concentrate efforts there first because as I'm sure you've noticed, it's easier to rewrite a sql statement than rework the physical configuration of the database.

Steve Turner,
Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message