Re: [Q] Handle Informix + Oracle DB from same C++-program?

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/04

Almut Herzog <al-her_at_sectra.se> wrote:
>I am investigating the possibility to have *one* C(++)-program that can
>insert, update, select... in both an Informix and Oracle database.
>I wonder if this is possible at all as both vendors make use of the
>sqlca structure. The program would have to pass through Pro*C++ as well
>as ESQLC (this does not sound feasible, does it?).
>I do not *have* to be able to join between Informix and Oracle tables,
>but maybe in a year or so I want that, too.
>Would ODBC help here? Remember, I need a C(++)-program. Which products
>can be of use (except Oracle-Gateways-to-Informix which is far too
>expensive)?

You might be able to do this by coding separate Pro*C/ESQLC source programs (subroutines) for each database or perhaps a single program using ODBC. If you need to update both databases in a single transaction, though, you risk integrity problems due to the absence of coordinated commit/rollback/recovery. It is possible to solve that by running the application in an environment that has its own recovery coordination (e.g. a TP monitor). That could be more expensive than buying our gateway, which provides recovery coordination as well as the join capability you may need in the future. I don't see any way you'll get that with ODBC.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not