Re: Oracle 7 and UNIX permissions - Help

From: Elizabeth Bagley <bagley_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/04/04

RenhartGittens_at_unn.unisys.com wrote:

: As my Unix is SVR5.4 it may not be true for
: Solaris but directories should be 755 to allow users to search for
: Oracle files. The Oracle owner should have a umask 022 to allow group
: and other read(and directory search) but not write when creating
: objects. Your ordinary users will be other as far as Unix is concerned
: with regard to the Oracle files which is as you require.

The directories should be 755 under Solaris, as well. Those checked out okay. I did, however, find that the oracle owners umask was set to 0037, so that may have caused problems. (It's a guess, but it seems likely that the system was installed with that umask.)

: Second thoughts are there any restrictions in the Solaris kernel on
: which users are permitted to invoke setuid which needs to be relaxed.

Suid scripts/programs haven't been a problem.

: Given that you were successful in adding your identity
: to the dba group. The implication is that you are not being permitted
: toaccess the directory.

Stupidly enough, I just added my login back to the "dba" unix group to demonstrate my ability to access....but was unable to access. I received the following message:

ORA-7320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga. SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied.

// *Cause:  Unable to attach segment
// *Action: Check errno. sercose[0] returns segment id.  Verify segment
//          exists and that permissions are correct.

This is the same message that shows up for anyone other than oracle who tries to access. I have an $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<sid>.dbf with the permissions 664.

I have an $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<sid>.dbf with the permissions 664.

Sincere thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, -elizabeth

Elizabeth Bagley                PHONE:  209-278-3923
Systems Administator, CCMS      FAX:    209-278-4660
California State Univ., Fresno  http://www.csufresno.edu/Elizabeth