Re: SMP, MPP machines and Oracle

From: Adrian Challinor <adrian_at_a-cha.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/04

In article <4js7mn$api_at_news.uni-c.dk>, unibors_at_inet.uni-c.dk (Ole Oxvang) wrote:

> Steven D. Macaulay (smacaulay_at_continental.com) wrote:
> : Ngar Chow wrote:
> : >
> : > Does anyone knows that what Oracle features will take advanatge of a SMP
> : > and MPP machine (I know parallel query will benefit from a SMP machine)?
> : > Which platform is better for Oracle DB parallel features - IBM SP2 or HPUX
> : > clusters servers? Thanks

Lars is very right, MPP is much more complex than SMP. But so are clusters. In the Oracle point of view, a cluster uses the Parallel Server software, just as the MPP does. But the cluster is limited in th enumber of nodes, where as the MPP is normally limited by the size of your budget.

SMP systems, such as IBM RS/6000 J30, will go to 8 way without any scaling problems, and with the abnility to connect 2GB of memory you will get very good performance. I also suggest you look at integrated disk caching, such as EMC disks, if you have very large data volumes. More on this if the thread desires (I could go on for a long time).

If you exceed something like a J30, then you need to go MPP, and the SP2 is a good one to go for. BUT IT IS COMPLEX. The share nothing architecture is difficult to implement. However, I have found IBM very very helpful in advise and planning info (at least in the UK!).

Telephone: (+44)-0181-852-1605           -------
Cellphone: 0860-290883                   OSIRIS \ CONSULTANTS
"The view expressed here are both mine and        ------------
my companies". Received on Thu Apr 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message