Re: Multiple databases

From: Ulf Leser <leser_at_mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de>
Date: 1996/04/03

Laurent Citton wrote:

> Ulf Leser <leser_at_mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm pretty frustrated about oracle - I'm sure that there is a solution
> >for my problem, but the manuals are not willing to tell me.

> >I have same clues, but nothing works. I wonder if I have to give both
> >SIDs in the /etc/oratab - file, but - when I look at the dbstart -
> >procedure, I get the feeling that not much will happen. They will still
> >set one environment-variable, start an instance, and then overwerite the
> >variable and try to start the other instance. I can't start two
> >instances at the moment. Do I have to set the TWO_TASK - variable ? I
> >don't think so, because the Manual does only say that this setes the
> >default connect-string.
> >
> >I also read the news-mail from Vikram Goel from yesterday, but sorry: it
> >didn't really help me. I hope I'm specific enough.
> >

> 1. Your clients (who don't establish UNIX connections one the database
> server) just need to set TWO_TASK variable and connect to the server. Of
> course, the need to have a complete Oracle environment on their
> client machine (with sql*net at least)

Well, the first problem was only to START two instances. It is not possible with sqlbda - this program always wants me to shutdown the running instance before allowing to start a new one. Merde... The only way I got it working was with a new entry in /etc/oratab, then dbshut and dbstart. Now it looks fine.

> 2. People who can connect on the server have two solutions: they can
> connect to the database directly or through a sqlnet adaptator (like
> tcp/ip). In the former case, the set ONLY ORACLE_SID to the correct
> value, in the latter they set TWO_TASK to the correct value (they can
> also set ORACLE_SID, but value is overriden). Of course everybody need to
> have a correct Oracle environment...

I connect via oratcl from a remote machine, where I of course have everyhting properly installed. It works now. I never used TWO_TASKS, and I'm really not sure what it would do beside of specifying the default value for a db-connection.

Bye-bye, Ulf Received on Wed Apr 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message