Re: Windows PC to Oracle w/o SQL*Net?

From: Andrew C. Moll <acmoll_at_dgsys.com>
Date: 1996/04/03

  The expense of SQL*Net was one of the primary reasons we went to a three-tier architecture. We are using the OEC toolkit. I can't say that I recommend OEC tools (they don't seem all that mature) but I don't think it would be that hard to write your own three-tiered system. Just start with the sample9 Pro*C program and make it into a daemon which accepts rpc calls. I'm using Unix language here, but I assume the concepts will work for Windows 95/NT. fork off a new process for every rpc received.   My guess is this might take a month to get working reasonably well? Drew Moll
Fairfax, VA
acmoll_at_acm.org

stowe_at_mcs.net wrote:
: > B540JC_at_wbv1.sna.ks.boeing.com (John R. Call - Boeing, Wichita) writes:
: > We have 4-5,000 PC workstations that use a locally written Windows
: > program to logon on to our Central LAN. At peak load, about 100 users
: > per minute are logging on. Data about users and their connections are
: > kept in a database. The logon program accesses and updates information
: > in this database when a user logs on. Currently the database is MS
: > Access, but due to repeated problems with database corruption, we want
: > to convert the database to Oracle.
: >
: > Our environment: Workstations are Windows for Workgroups (Win 3.11) now
: > and soon will also include Win95 and WinNT workstations. All run TCP/IP
: > over ethernet. Servers are either WinNT or HP-UX with ethernet.
: > SQL*Net is V2. Oracle is 7.1 or greater.
: >
: > Our problem: Since the logon program is running on the individual
: > workstations, how do we access Oracle without having to buy and install
: > SQL*Net on each workstation? The only thought I had was to use some
: > kind of program to program communication, where the logon program on the
: > workstation would talk to a program (logon server) running on one of our
: > SQL*Net enabled servers (see below). Any thoughts? Does anyone know
: > how to code the program to program connection? Is there some way to
: > access Oracle from the Windows PC WITHOUT having to install SQL*Net on
: > each PC?
: >>>>

: Are there ways to do it? Yes. Would you want to? No.

: Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to emulate a network package like SQL*Net on your own, and the off-the-shelf packages are
: limp at best.

: What, exactly, is your hesitation to putting SQL*Net on each PC?

: Michael Stowe
: Constellation Engineering, Inc.
: http://www.mcs.com/~stowe