TNS Listener ORA-12505 problem

From: Rob Hildebrandt <robh_at_xetron.com>
Date: 1996/04/03

To whom it may concern:

Eariler I wrote that I was getting an ORA-12505 error after creating a new database.

After some trial and error I was able to resolve the ORA-12505 TNS Listner error I was
getting when trying to connect to a database I had created on a windows NT 3.51 WS user
a fresh install of oracle 7.2 and sql net 2.2. After editing the default init.ora file, creating
a new instance and SID (myDB), creating a new database via a create database script
in SQLDBA72, and configuring an alias using SQL NET 2.2 using myDB Sid, I couldn't
start my database.

The problem was not the TNSNAMES.ORA file (SQL NET added my alias correclt) by the
LISTENER.ORA file. THe SID_LIST_LISTNER did not have the SID_DESC for my new sid (myDB). I hand editted the file as follows: SID_LIST_LISTENER =
   (SID_LIST=

      (SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = ORCL)
(ORACLE_SID = ORCL)
) (i added) (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = myDB)
(ORACLE_SID = myDB)

   )

Apperently SQL NET 2.2 doesn't update this file when you create a new SID. After editing the file, you have to stop and restart the OracleTNSListener service via the
control panel services applet. From then on I was able to start up myDB using the
database manager. Received on Wed Apr 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message