OPO: Controlling focus, any work-arounds?...

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/04/03

Hi!

I'm having a helluva time making a decent data entry form which can withstand some abuse...

The form should be able to handle multiple detail record entry for one master.

I first tried repeaters, but since they don't hang on to default field values and you can't seem to set them yourself in code [any workarounds?], I gave up and decided to try embedded forms.

The problem with both of these is focus. I want the user to be able to press a button to start a new record. So after pressing the button I want the cursor to be in the first field they will be entering data in. Can't do it. If a field in the embedded form/repeater already has focus you will (might?) keep focus in the container. But in general, after clicking the button which does an container.insertrow, the focus is in limbo. A tab will put the focus on the first field of the master form.

Anybody understand my predicament? Anybody gotten around this?

Peter

--

Peter Yamamoto
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488