Oracle's WebServer

From: Brian Curfman <curfman_at_cards.com>
Date: 1996/04/02

I am trying to investigate the Oracle WebServer.

Our group had a telecon with a group from Oracle - but they seemed to answer YES to EVERy question asked. In other words, they didn't seem to know all the answers - so YES seemed appropriate.

In the end I asked if they could give a list of sites that currently use WebServer. They gave me three sites, none of which use Oracle WebServer. Imagine that!

I did finally find a site that uses Oracle Webserver, but it is VERY SLOW. I am not sure if it is the computer or the WebServer.

We currently use Oracle 7.0.16, NCSA httpd, and OraPerl to create our pages. OraPerl is VERY fast, easy to use, and a very powerful scripting language.

We create graphics using mtv-plot and some PS to GIF converters, but this process is very slow. When I asked the sales and tech people at oracle if the Oracle WebServer could be integrated with ORacle Graphics to do charts on the fly, they said SURE.

I have a few question for anyone with ANY experiance with the ORacle WebServer:

  1. Is it slow compared to other web servers?
  2. Is it too restrictive to used the stored procedures?
  3. Can I create and run dynamic SQL?
  4. Will Oracle Graphics integrate with WebServer. If it will do you know if Graphics will integrate with any other web server?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Please email me directly, I don't get a chance to read the newsgroups that often.

Thanks

--
Brian Curfman
Senior Software Engineer

PROJECTS:
National Software Data and Information Repository (NSDIR)

CONTACT INFORMATION:
email : bkcurfma_at_sbcs.com
        curfman_at_cards.com
SBI  phone : (304) 366-8246
SBI  fax   : (304) 366-8350
NASA phone : (304) 367-8407

MAIL: <A HREF="mailto:curfman_at_cards.com">curfman_at_cards.com</A>